North Queensferry was named after Queen Margaret of Scotland where the narrow point across the Firth of Forth gave rise to the “Queen’s Ferry” – an obvious crossing point from the abbey at Dunfermline in Fife across to Edinburgh.  Queen Margaret was fleeing from William the conqueror when her boat was blown off course. She landed here and was given refuge by Malcolm Canmore who later became her husband. The ferry was owned by Dunfermline abbey and leased by the monks during the Middle Ages. In 1589 James VI gave the Ferry rights to his wife as a wedding gift.

The town nestles under the towering Forth Railway Bridge – truly a feat of Victorian engineering. Construction of the bridge was begun in 1883 and formally completed on the 4th of March in 1890, and although the grand old lady is now beginning to show signs of wear and tear, her red girders and massive tubular spans are still an impressive sight.

If arriving to walk the Fife Coastal Path by car then there is ample parking at Deep Sea World - Scotland’s National aquarium- which features one of the longest underwater viewing tunnels.  It was built in 1993 in a flooded quarry that was formed after the area was excavated for granite.

 

Buy the guide to the Fife Coastal Path here