Kinghorn

The Fife Coastal Path continues around the little harbour at Pettycur – the pier there was built in 1760 to ferry traffic across the water to and from Leith. After a short walk the path leads above the little harbour at Kinghorn.  This little seaside village is bound between the viaduct that carries the railway and the sea in front. It is here that the RNLI have a lifeboat which is also one of Scotland's busiest - regularly getting called out to emergencies in the Firth of Forth.

Walk to the end of the beach and follow the route round behind the viaduct where the path then gets squeezed next to a small and rather run down caravan site. About a mile along the path from Kinghorn lie the ruins of Seafield tower. This red sandstone tower dates from the 16th Century but was abandoned in 1773. The area all around this stretch of was rich in coal and the Seafield Colliery was once one of the biggest coal fields in the country with estimated coal reserves of 60 million tons. The coal industry more or less collapsed in the 70s and the two winding towers were demolished

 

Buy the guide to the Fife Coastal Path here